Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Toddlers, Tarsiers and Teeth

I just returned from taking my two small sons to the dentist.  By the way, if I had known the costs of something like dentistry before having kids...I don't know if they'd be here now. 

This visit marked the first time my four year old had x-rays taken. When we viewed the images, I was struck by how much his mandibular incisors (bottom front teeth) looked like that of a prosimian dental comb. Primates are noted for their lack of dental specialization (to take advantage of varied and flexible food sources), but the dental comb is a classic example of some specialized dentition that does occur in non-human primates.

Despite the adaptive specialization found in dental combs, I still found the common ancestry apparent.  My son and a lemur may look very different now, but that x-ray reminded me in a visceral way how they do share grandparents from about 50 million years ago.

My oldest son

Human Mandibular Incisors, not my son (disregard B and C)
Lemur Dental Comb (also mandibular incisors, plus modified canines)
Not my son

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I like where this is going. Is he going to start reminding you of a chimp when he hits puberty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both already remind of chimps. Isn't that dental comb awesome? Grooming would be much easier if we all had them.

    ReplyDelete